Date:	Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:27:01 +0200
From:	Fejes József <fejes@...o.name>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: r8169 misleading firmware error messages

Hi,

I'm using Linux 2.6.38.3 with a Realtek 8169 card, ID: 10ec:8168
(integrated into an Intel D945GSEJT mobo). It never needed any firmware
files, and when I was using 2.6.37, it never complained about it either.
Now it does complain (but it still works perfectly):

r8169 0000:01:00.0: eth0: unable to apply firmware patch

Also when I do initramfs stuff:

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for
module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for
module r8169

So then I installed the rtl_nic firmware files, and the error messages
were gone.

How do I know if it actually tries to load the firmware at all? I see
there's a condition, if an rtl_readphy returns a wrong value, it doesn't
even try to load the firmware and just prints the message. Although this
wouldn't explain why the error message disappeared when the files were
there.

Clearly, my device works without these firmware files. If my device
works better with them, or if there are other similar devices which
require it, I think there should be a configuration option to disable
this firmware stuff and its benefits altogether so that it doesn't even
report that it needs it.

Best regards,

--
Fejes József