Date:	Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:15:50 +0000
From:	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>
To:	Jason Gao <pkill.2012@...il.com>, "Li, Sibai" <sibai.li@...el.com>
CC:	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, kvm <kvm@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: SR-IOV problem with Intel 82599EB (not enough MMIO resources
 for SR-IOV)

I use a Dell R710 for all my SR-IOV testing and it works fine but I had to acquire a special BIOS from Dell to get it to work.  As I said, you'll want to contact them and make sure you've got the correct BIOS.

The error you're seeing, "not enough MMIO resources" has been an issue with the BIOS 100% of the times that we've run into it.  In any case, it is NOT a driver bug.  The driver has nothing to do with allocation of MMIO space reservation for VF devices.  The message you're seeing pops up when the driver calls pci_enable_sriov().  There is nothing the driver can do to force that call to be successful.

I've added Sibai Li to this response.  She should be able to get the BIOS version string off of one of our working Dell R710s.

Sibai,

Could you please reply to this message with that information?

Thanks,

- Greg