Date:	Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:52:08 -0500
From:	Brian Haley <brian.haley@...com>
To:	Ulf samuelsson <netdev@...gii.com>
CC:	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: How to make stack send broadcast ARP request when entry is STALE?

On 11/07/2014 05:11 AM, Ulf samuelsson wrote:
> The HP router is configured by a customer, and they intentionally limit replies
> to broadcast, and that is how they want it.

So this is the crux of the problem - the customer has configured the router so
that it doesn't play well with most modern network stacks that try and use
unicast so they don't send unnecessary broadcast packets.  I don't know why I
thought this was something wrong with the router software.

Did you try this?

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv4.neigh.eth0.ucast_solicit=0

It works for me.

And they really should re-think their decision on that configuration setting.

-Brian