Date:   Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:13:44 +0100
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:     John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
Cc:     Mike Rapoport <rppt@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>,
        Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@...el.com>,
        "Karlsson, Magnus" <magnus.karlsson@...el.com>,
        Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>,
        Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>,
        Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>,
        Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...mgrid.com>,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
        Kalman Meth <METH@...ibm.com>,
        Vladislav Yasevich <vyasevich@...il.com>, brouer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: Designing a safe RX-zero-copy Memory Model for Networking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 06:49:03 -0800
John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com> wrote:

> On 16-12-12 06:14 AM, Mike Rapoport wrote:

> >> It is very much on topic IMHO :-)

> >> Seems quite related. I'm very interested in cooperating with you! I'm
> >> not very familiar with virtio, and how packets/pages gets channeled
> >> into virtio.
> >
> > They are copied :-)
> > Presuming we are dealing only with vhost backend, the received skb
> > eventually gets converted to IOVs, which in turn are copied to the guest
> > memory. The IOVs point to the guest memory that is allocated by virtio-net
> > running in the guest.
> >

> Great I'm also doing something similar.
>
> My plan was to embed the zero copy as an AF_PACKET mode and then push
> a AF_PACKET backend into vhost. I'll post a patch later this week.

> >> I believe the page_pool API/design aligns with this idea/use-case.

> >> In my Prove-of-Concept implementation, the NIC driver (mlx5) register
> >> a page_pool per RX queue.  This is done for two reasons (1) performance
> >> and (2) for supporting use-cases where only one single RX-ring queue is
> >> (re)configured to support RX-zero-copy.  There are some associated
> >> extra cost of enabling this mode, thus it makes sense to only enable it
> >> when needed.
> >>
> >> I've not decided how this gets enabled, maybe some new driver NDO.  It
> >> could also happen when a XDP program gets loaded, which request this
> >> feature.
> >>
> >> The macvtap solution is nice and we should support it, but it requires
> >> VM to have their MAC-addr registered on the physical switch.  This
> >> design is about adding flexibility. Registering an XDP eBPF filter
> >> provides the maximum flexibility for matching the destination VM.
> >
> > I'm not very familiar with XDP eBPF, and it's difficult for me to estimate
> > what needs to be done in BPF program to do proper conversion of skb to the
> > virtio descriptors.
>
> I don't think XDP has much to do with this code and they should be done
> separately. XDP runs eBPF code on received packets after the DMA engine
> has already placed the packet in memory so its too late in the process.

It does not have to be connected to XDP.  My idea should support RX
zero-copy into normal sockets, without XDP.

My idea was to pre-VMA map the RX ring, when zero-copy is requested,
thus it is not too late in the process.  When frame travel the normal
network stack, then require the SKB-read-only-page mode (skb-frags).
If the SKB reach a socket that support zero-copy, then we can do RX
zero-copy on normal sockets.

> The other piece here is enabling XDP in vhost but that is again separate
> IMO.
>
> Notice that ixgbe supports pushing packets into a macvlan via 'tc'
> traffic steering commands so even though macvlan gets an L2 address it
> doesn't mean it can't use other criteria to steer traffic to it.

This sounds interesting. As this allow much more flexibility macvlan
matching, which I like, but still depending on HW support.

> > We were not considered using XDP yet, so we've decided to limit the initial
> > implementation to macvtap because we can ensure correspondence between a
> > NIC queue and virtual NIC, which is not the case with more generic tap
> > device. It could be that use of XDP will allow for a generic solution for
> > virtio case as well.
>
> Interesting this was one of the original ideas behind the macvlan
> offload mode. iirc Vlad also was interested in this.
>
> I'm guessing this was used because of the ability to push macvlan onto
> its own queue?

> >> I don't understand what you mean by a "push" model?
> >
> > Currently, memory allocation in NIC drivers boils down to alloc_page with
> > some wrapping code. I see two possible ways to make NIC use of some
> > preallocated pages: either NIC driver will call an API (probably different
> > from alloc_page) to obtain that memory, or there will be NDO API that
> > allows to set the NIC's RX buffers. I named the later case "push".
>
> I prefer the ndo op. This matches up well with AF_PACKET model where we
> have "slots" and offload is just a transparent "push" of these "slots"
> to the driver. Below we have a snippet of our proposed API,

Hmmm. If you can rely on hardware setup to give you steering and
dedicated access to the RX rings.  In those cases, I guess, the "push"
model could be a more direct API approach.

I was shooting for a model that worked without hardware support.  And
then transparently benefit from HW support by configuring a HW filter
into a specific RX queue and attaching/using to that queue.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer