Date:   Thu, 04 May 2017 16:45:58 -0400
From:   Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>
To:     Dennis Dalessandro <dennis.dalessandro@...el.com>,
        Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>,
        Bart Van Assche <Bart.VanAssche@...disk.com>
Cc:     "jiri@...lanox.com" <jiri@...lanox.com>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        "ram.amrani@...ium.com" <ram.amrani@...ium.com>,
        "sagi@...mberg.me" <sagi@...mberg.me>,
        "ogerlitz@...lanox.com" <ogerlitz@...lanox.com>,
        "hch@....de" <hch@....de>,
        "jgunthorpe@...idianresearch.com" <jgunthorpe@...idianresearch.com>,
        "stephen@...workplumber.org" <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        "ariela@...lanox.com" <ariela@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC iproute2 0/8] RDMA tool

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 15:26 -0400, Dennis Dalessandro wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 02:45 PM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> > > Hello Leon,
> > >
> > > Sorry but to me that sounds like a weak argument for including
> > > RDMA functionality
> > > in iproute2. There is already a library for communication over
> > > netlink sockets,
> > > namely libnl. Is there functionality that is in iproute2 but not
> > > in libnl and
> > > that is needed for the new tool? If so, have you considered to
> > > create a new
> > > library for that functionality?
> >
> > It is not hard to create new tool, the hardest part is to ensure
> > that it is
> > part of the distributions. Did you count how many months we are
> > trying to
> > add rdma-core to debian?
>
> I do agree that it is a strange pairing and am not really a fan.
> However
> at the end of the day it's just a name for a repo/package. If the
> iproute folks are fine to include rdma in their repo/package, great
> we
> can leverage their code for CLI and other common stuff.

If you look into the iproute2 package, it becomes clear that the name
iproute2 is historical and not really accurate any more.  It contains
things like the bridge control software, tc for controlling send
queues, and many things network related but not routing related.  The
rdma tool is a perfectly fine fit in the sense that it is an additional
network management tool IMO.

For reference, here's the list of stuff already in iproute on my Fedora
24 box:

/usr/sbin/arpd
/usr/sbin/bridge
/usr/sbin/cbq
/usr/sbin/ctstat
/usr/sbin/genl
/usr/sbin/ifcfg
/usr/sbin/ifstat
/usr/sbin/ip
/usr/sbin/lnstat
/usr/sbin/nstat
/usr/sbin/routef
/usr/sbin/routel
/usr/sbin/rtacct
/usr/sbin/rtmon
/usr/sbin/rtpr
/usr/sbin/rtstat
/usr/sbin/ss
/usr/sbin/tc
/usr/sbin/tipc

And in fact, if you check, tipc is almost similar to RDMA ;-)  So, I
suggest people not get hung up on the name iproute2, the fit is fine
when you look deeper into the nature of the package.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD

Key fingerprint = AE6B 1BDA 122B 23B4 265B  1274 B826 A333 0E57 2FDD