Date:   Tue, 27 Jun 2017 20:59:25 +0000
From:   "Tantilov, Emil S" <emil.s.tantilov@...el.com>
To:     Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
        "Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
CC:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "Greenwalt, Paul" <paul.greenwalt@...el.com>,
        Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
        "sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
        "jogreene@...hat.com" <jogreene@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: [net-next v2 6/6] ixgbe: Add malicious driver detection support

The "trusted" option was added to allow use cases that were not possible in the
default driver configuration for SRIOV (promiscuous mode, overriding the MAC).
While these modes can lead to issues (performance with promisc) they can still
be useful for certain configurations.

MDD is a completely different type of protection that incorporates checks for
queue context, Tx descriptors and out-of-bounds DMA/memory access that can
disrupt the operation of the interfaces. You can read more about it in the X550
datasheet (section 7.9.4.3 malicious Driver Detection):
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/ethernet-controller-x550-family-documentation.html

For that reason we do not want to make it part of the "trusted" option.

In addition MDD is a global setting and cannot be configured per-VF.

Thanks,
Emil