Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 17:20:22 +0100 (CET)
From: Stefan.Lucks@...-weimar.de
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A final cheat killer pass with smoke

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Bill Cox wrote:

> So, after my threads finish filling memory with their hashed data, I could
> run a "cheat killer" pass that randomly accesses all of the hash data in a
> pattern that depends on the password, making it impossible to pre-compute.

IF I understand correctly what you mean (a big IF, indeed), you consider
the following steps:

   1. fill the memory with some password dependent stuff in some password
      independent order

   2. read (and, maybe, modify) the memory at password-dependent places.

Am I right?

This is actually what ROMIX does. And one issue here are cache timing
attacks, under the ASSUMPTION that you can measure cache timings at the
system (a big ASSUMPTION, indeed). Consider the adversary did figure out
which memory pages you read from. Now a memory-constrained attack would
just execute the first step with a password-candidate, without storing any
values to memory, except for those accessed in the second step. If, in the
second phase, it would need to access one memory location not stored
before, it could safely reject the password-candidate.

Or do you mean to run that second phase after, say, a full Catena (or
anything similar)? That would make some sense. However, for Catena-i, with
large enough i, I don't see much need for that. Even i=2 would already
cause pain for the attacker.

> Because it only comes at the end, an attacker looking for a specific cache
> miss pattern would not gain a significant advantage in password guessing
> speed, so the major complaint against password based memory accesses goes
> away.  However, some information still leaks.  In particular, while the
> cache timing is useless for password guessing, it does provide a
> detectable timing signature that proves a particular user has just
> authenticated his password.  This seems a bit silly to worry about.  For
> example, I can just run the "who" command to see who's logged in, or ps to
> see what processes they are running.

But it would also allow the attacker to determine when a specific user has
changed her password. Especially when you can call "who" to figure out who
has logged in. This is somewhat worrisome. At the very least, you
determine if the password, that you currently are trying to crack, has
already been changed or not.

The "smoke" approach should defend against that, but on the whole this
looks more complicated than stacking two or more bit-reversal graphs, ;-)

So long

Stefan

------  I  love  the  taste  of  Cryptanalysis  in  the morning!  ------
     <http://www.uni-weimar.de/cms/medien/mediensicherheit/home.html>
--Stefan.Lucks (at) uni-weimar.de, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Germany--