Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:56:25 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: A final cheat killer pass with smoke

Sorry... I wake up with dumb ideas most mornings, and this group is the
current victim.

Two problems have been bothering me about NoelKDF.  First, for users
enabling multiple threads, each thread can run serially or in parallel and
you get the same answer, giving the attacker his choice of TMTO.  Alexander
eliminates this with random reads (and writes?) from all of memory after
the threads have finished filling memory.  The second problem is that using
Catena's style of accessing memory in a predictable way independent of the
password gives an attacker an advantage.

So, after my threads finish filling memory with their hashed data, I could
run a "cheat killer" pass that randomly accesses all of the hash data in a
pattern that depends on the password, making it impossible to pre-compute.
 Catena cheaters, if I'm not mistaken, suffer an exponential penalty in
this round.  I am likely wrong about that, so don't worry about it for now.
 I'll have to prove it, but I think it's that devastating to Catena
cheaters.

If we ran this round on say 1% of all memory, it would not slow down the
KDF significantly, but the addition protection is large.

Because it only comes at the end, an attacker looking for a specific cache
miss pattern would not gain a significant advantage in password guessing
speed, so the major complaint against password based memory accesses goes
away.  However, some information still leaks.  In particular, while the
cache timing is useless for password guessing, it does provide a detectable
timing signature that proves a particular user has just authenticated his
password.  This seems a bit silly to worry about.  For example, I can just
run the "who" command to see who's logged in, or ps to see what processes
they are running.  Also, the server is very likely going to so something
very user specific, like generating an HTML page that is unique to the
user, providing lots of opportunities for detecting a timing signature.
 Our memory hard KDFs are meant to protect the user's password, not cover
his tracks.

Still, we could eliminate this slight leak with "smoke".  This would be a
random value generated just for this run of the KDF.  The final round would
first fill an array of addresses that it needs to access based on data
derived from the password, and then the smoke would be used to shuffle the
values in the array.  The cheat killer pass would read all those locations
in the randomized order, adding together the values at those memory
locations.  The result is independent of the order, but the cache miss
timing is scrambled, and I think there is not enough timing information
leaked to be useful in any way.  After randomization, even the number of
cache misses changes.

I'm going to add a short cheat killer round to NoelKDF.  Is the smoke worth
implementing?

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped