Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:33:10 -0800
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Cc: <sneves@....uc.pt>
Subject: OT: [PHC] multiply-hardening (Re: NoelKDF ready for submission)

The significant amount of number theoretic lore that crops up here fascinates me too, although I am not fluent with it.

I missed the "Duality in Addition Chains" in my scrutiny, though I have it [;<).  The addition-subtraction business works because of the law of exponents, of course.

In the 1998 (third) edition of The Art of Computer Programming, volume 2, it appears that those results and others are folded in, often in the exercises and the discussion that are part of the solutions.  Pippenger's observation about the duality of direction is buried in there.  The Bernstein paper is a wonderful expansion, and the page 10 "Setting the record straight" is a hoot, especially considering patenting of mathematical methods.  (The mentioned patent has expired, but the problem of recognizing prior art when it is not identified the same way is telling.)

Thanks for both links.  I now understand who is being referred to as BJD.  (I'm a newcomer here.)

 - Dennis