Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 08:09:05 -0700
From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@....org>
To: <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] PHS API copyright?

I think having clear copyright and statements on the PHS and the site materials are good things to do.  They keep everything clear.

In my response to Bill Cox, I was thinking of the copyright on submissions, not on the PHS signature declaration.

Also, a derivative header file where the parameters to PHS are made more specific and explicit would count as a separate work although the new copyright does not extend over the borrowed parts.  The additional material is subject to separate copyright.

I am also not worried about the PHS signature and the specification of it given as part of the PHC.  That is not legal advice, of course.  Just the same, it is good practice to be clear what the copyright license conditions are, even if a work were eventually deemed not copyrightable.  Honoring the conditions is simply the safe thing to do.

 - Dennis