Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:14:55 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Tradeoff cryptanalysis of Catena, Lyra2, and generic memory-hard functions

All -

The Argon2 specification includes TMTO analysis of multi-pass schemes in
general, that's section "2.4.3 Multi-pass schemes".  It is relevant to
PHC in general, so is worth taking a look at even if you're not
currently interested in Argon2 in particular.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 07:30:11PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> So in what I wrote the multiplier shouldn't be depth as in
> your report, but rather number of other direct dependency blocks and
> previous contents that a not stored block depends on, on average.

The multiplier I referred to is probably close to the number of passes
used in the Argon team's analysis I mentioned above.

Dmitry, does the below look right to you?

If at 1 GB pre-TMTO spending 100 MB on indices gave us 32-byte block
size, then at 3 overwrite passes it might be 96 bytes, which is close to
being practical.  At a 1/10 TMTO not including indices, we'd have 100 MB
for the stored blocks and another 100 MB for the indices.  So
effectively only 1/5 instead of 1/10.  A 96-byte block size corresponds
to a performance reduction of maybe 40% compared to 1 KB for an
scrypt-alike (extrapolated from my testing for 1 KB vs. 128 bytes for
scrypt, where I measured a slowdown of 25% to 27% on a given machine for
both a single thread and as many threads as the hardware supports).
(Indeed, 96 in particular has an additional performance hit of not being
a multiple of cache line size, which is 64 bytes on modern x86 CPUs.
But the numbers we're using here are not that precise anyway.  It could
as well be 64 or 128.)

I do not actually recommend to incur a maybe 40% slowdown just to
discourage such extreme TMTOs a little bit more.  But I think this may
skew some numbers in a non-negligible way.  And such low block sizes may
in some cases be chosen for other reasons, such as to discourage
attacker's use of higher latency memory.

Alexander