Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:30:34 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Argon2

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 03:02:06PM +0200, Dmitry Khovratovich wrote:
> Yes, you're right, the code is little-endian only so far (the
> specification implicitly suggest little-endianness in the
> initialization phase). This must be changed, and I will do it.

Sounds fine.

Another concern here is C strict aliasing rules.  When you cast some
integer type to a pointer to a char-sized type, that's fine so far
(since char is special).  However, if the function you pass this to then
casts that to a different-sized integer type, you have a C strict
aliasing violation there, so UB, and it may be exposed and result in
visibly incorrect behavior if the compiler performs optimization across
function boundaries (such as does function inlining and link-time
optimization).  This actually affects the official scrypt's
crypto_scrypt-nosse.c when compiled with (extreme) function inlining,
resulting in incorrect computation.  I have not yet seen it happen
across object file boundary, but since link-time optimization is a thing
I expect that it may (if not now, then later).  This affects a lot of
existing code out there.  (In the submitted yescrypt code, I tried to be
careful about this, but e.g. some of my older code in JtR is affected.)

> >         blake2b_update(&BlakeHash, (const uint8_t*)&lanes, sizeof(lanes));
[...]

Surely blake2b_update() then uses its own choice of integer or SIMD
types for this data.

A solution here is to use a union type containing all of the integer and
SIMD types.  The called function may cast the pointer to a pointer to
such union type, then access the fields of its desired type.  The
compiler will then know that they might alias those other listed types.

Alexander