Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:40:00 -0500
From: "McCartney, Daymon (US - Deerfield)" <dmccartney@...oitte.com>
To: "'bugtraq@...urityfocus.com'" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: question about oracle advisory

David:

Do you have any plans to release proof of concept code for the Oracle
exploit?  The reason I ask is that "due to architectural constraints,"
Oracle is not planning on releasing a patch for 8i releases.  We contacted
them about this, but they're sticking to their guns about the exploit
requiring oracle authentication, and thus being a low(er)-risk
vulnerability.

To quote the analyst that responded, "I'm not able to comment on David
Litchfield's claims, but with SECURITY ALERT 57, you need the CREATE LIBRARY
or the CREATE ANY LIBRARY privilege. The exploit is dependent on these
privileges, so if they are not granted to users, the exploit fails. How a
user could exploit these without being able to connect is difficult to even
imagine."

I'd like to see them put out a patch for this, but without some more proof
of the anonymous exploit, and motivation to fix the problem regardless of
"architectural constraints", I don't think they will.

Regards,

Daymon