Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:23:16 -0700
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
To: <noderat@...mail.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Buffer Overflow in ActivePerl ?

The beauty of holes in perl itself is the possibility that
it could affect a widerange of perl scripts out there sleeping on
people's webservers, though.

I would guess, however, a function named "system" is not likely
used by very many scripts and probably has some serious other issues.

... looking ...

http://iis1.cps.unizar.es/Oreilly/perl/learn32/ch14_01.htm#ch14-23962

example given:
system("dir >this_dir") && die "cannot create this_dir";

Yeah, so if you have control over the parameter of "system" call
in perl on a webserver, you have complete access, anyway.

People should look at the other functions in there. This is interesting
as it may be that there are more easily accessible functions in there
which may be exploitable.

With an overflow attack, or similiar, you would bypass - likely - most
mechanisms designed to filter out your typical injection attacks which
generally rely on logical operators and the such -- not just too long
of variables or otherwise improper but valid variables.