Date: 9 Jun 2004 06:21:23 -0000
From: Squid <squidsecurity@...hmail.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Multiple vulnerabilities PHP-Nuke

Since you said patches have been available for "many, many months", please provide links to them.  It appears you merely restricted access to this module on your site not that these were necessarily fixed.  A check of the patched code though will show for sure whether the problems were previously addressed.

Even so, there has been at least two upgrades for PHPNuke in the past couple months.  If security patches are issued by third-parties but not incorporated into the main distribution, this leaves brand new users, hosts which offer auto-install versions, and those who upgrade susceptible to unfixed known vulnerabilities.  It also passes on the same ones to forked projects.

I agree CPG-Nuke is not affected.  They do not have a Reviews module at least not in the default distribution.  betaNC Bundle and OSC2Nuke though have the same vulnerabilities reported here.  Other forks may have it too.

Ref Dark's para 2A: I couldn't reproduce this on Linux.  The warning for date() resulting in full path disclosure may be Windows unique.

Ref Dark's para 2B: This occurs only when magic_quotes_gpc is set to off.  PhpNuke is not written to handle it being either on and off.  It must be on.  I'll bet there are other vulnerabilities present in the script when it's off.

Squid

-----