Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:16:36 -0700
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
To: "Gadi Evron" <ge@...uxbox.org>, "Jelmer" <jkuperus@...net.nl>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>,
   <peter@...lomatmail.net>
Subject: RE: Internet explorer 6 execution of arbitrary code (An analysis of the 180 Solutions Trojan)

<snip>

This is an undisclosed vulnerability which was genuinely found
in the wild.

It may utilize some known techniques. It may have some remote
resemblance to previous vulnerabilities, you mention one of
Liu Die Yu's old bugs... but most newly posted vulnerabilities
are somehow derivations of older bugs -- by far and wide. I can
not think of a new class of bug found in quite sometime.

"Nothing is new under the sun". Good, old saying.

You mentioned below something about "starting an Holy War" because
of this debate -- apparently, some researchers disagreed with each
other on whether or not this was new. However, it was new, it
is new, and the issue needs to get patched -- any political or
"religious" dispute aside.

So, recap.

A spyware distributor for a major spyware firm has
somehow gotten a hold of some genuine zero day -- not an easy
task. They have used this and are using this to make a lot of
money from it.

Spyware distributor's get cash for every system they trojanize --
much as "click through" banner systems operate. They can make
a lot of money doing this. They probably are not cognizant of
the fact that this kind of unauthorized access on a mass scale
is an extraordinary crime prosecutable in any country. If they
were, they would just use this to do credit card scams -- much
more payback, just a little bit more illegal.