Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:25:04 +0100
From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev@...ctriccat.co.uk>
To: "Lyal Collins" <lyalc@...mail.com.au>,
	"'Toomas Soome'" <Toomas.Soome@...rolink.ee>,
	lionel.ferette@...net.be
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Clear text password exposure in Datakey's tokens and smartcards

I don't doubt the widespread inherent nature of this vulnerability.

Smart cards used with PCs as the man-machine-interface is simply asking
for trouble IMHO.  Unless I'm mistaken, there is very little that can be
done about this without redesigning/replacing current smart cards.
Obviously, bespoke MMIs (such as door access systems) are less vulnerable
to this issue.  My problem is that people seem to view smart cards as a
panacea, as a place to store digital certificates or 'identities' and then
use them to 'prove' who they are.

Don't even start me on biometrics; if there is a PC (or anything that runs
software) between the reader and the authenticator then couldn't you just
replace the reader with another bit of software that pretends to be a
reader?  Where can I get the biometric info required?  Police stations
have a large quantity of finger prints, as have practically every surface
you've touched recently...

Kev

--
Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP