Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:48:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dana Hudes <dhudes@...-ip.info>
To: Bart.Lansing@...ls.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: RE: [Full-Disclosure] Clear text password exposure in Datakey's
 tokens and smartcards

as I understand it a "PIN Card" is a card with an EEPROM on it that
contains a PIN.  Possibly encrypted but its the same effect as any other
file. The host decides if the PIN matches.

A smart card has onboard microprocessor with software that includes
encryption support (in my day it was DES). The reader presents the PIN to
the card and the *card* not only can authenticate but also provide
authorization information (or any other supplementary response,
such as not just a PGP  key pair (i.e. the secret and public keys) but the
user's keyring as well. Even more interesting and useful is the use of
this card to run algorithms to provide one-time pad ciphers.
While you could do that host-based from a regular EEPROM card it requires
that the host know the pad selection algorithm .