Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:04:44 -0400
From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry@...ryseltzer.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: First vulnerabilities in the SP2 - XP ?...

Given that the scenario behind this presumes that the user downloads an
executable and runs it from the command line one could be just as
vulnerable running Mozilla or any other browser that allows you to
download files. Add a chmod step and other operating systems are just as
"vulnerable."

The only remotely interesting point here is that zone information
doesn't follow the files reliably into the file system. Personally I'm
not surprised by this, and it appears that neither is Microsoft. He's
assuming behavior that isn't indicated or documented.

Where do we draw the line on this social engineering stuff? If I send an
e-mail to someone telling them to flush their iPod down the crapper does
that mean the iPod is vulnerable to a toilet attack?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer