Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:15:21 -0700
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@...unix.com>
To: "BUGTRAQ@...URITYFOCUS.COM" <BUGTRAQ@...URITYFOCUS.COM>
Subject: Re: New whitepaper "The Phishing Guide"

Greg A. Woods wrote:

>[ On Thursday, September 23, 2004 at 12:21:40 (-0700), Seth Arnold wrote: ]
>>Methinks PGP is good for talking within friends, but perhaps trusting
>>communications from J. Random Corporation with PGP as your best means of
>>verification is a stretch. The Web Of Trust idea only takes you so far
>>
>You seem to be blaming the existing state of the PGP web of trust on
>some fundamental failing in its design and yet you then go on to admit
>that people use the wrong kinds of things in real life to authenticate
>and identify others with, and you further admit that the public in
>general still has a lot to learn about using computing and networking
>infrastructures safely in their daily lives.

No, I think it is more general than that. Seth's criticism of PGP
actually generalizes to any authentication-based "solution": it requires
the users to be trained to reject all non-authenticated communications,
and for the users to have a sophisticated notion of what constitutes
"properly authenticated."

This problem exists because the common mail clients accept
non-authenticated e-mail, and the users have been trained to just accept
that. No matter what you do, the users will continue habitually
accepting non-authenticated traffic, with all the expected consequences.

To actually fix this problem, you would have to supply your users with a
mail client that will *not* do anything "interesting" unless the mail
has been authenticated. Go ahead and try that on your users; I'll wait :)

This has nothing to do with whether you use a hierarchical PKI (VeriSign
et al) or a non-hierarchical PKI (PGP). It is all about the ease-of-use
and default policies of the mail client.

Disclaimers galore: I am on PGP's Technical Advisory Board, but do not
speak for PGP. Seth works for me at Immunix, but gets to have his own
opinions.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/