Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:38:56 -0700
From: Marco S Hyman <marc@...fu.org>
To: "Greg A. Woods" <woods@...rd.com>
Cc: Jeremy Epstein <jeremy.epstein@...methods.com>,
Subject: Re: Diebold Global Election Management System (GEMS) Backdoor Account Allows Authenticated Users to Modify Votes

"Greg A. Woods" writes:

 > The answer is not to try to show that open source can be used in
 > captialistic ventures, but rather to be very clear in stating that free
 > enterprise (and capitalism) has no place whatsoever at any time in the
 > creation, formation, and instatement of a government for the people.

Do expect to return to the age where voting is done with a pen and a
blank slip of paper, both supplied by the voter?   If not then free
enterprise will be involved.   Or do you also expect your local
government to grow the raw materials to make make the paper, ink,
printing machines, etc., used in even the simplest of elections.

I don't even expect local governments to print ballots if it can be
done cheaper by private enterprise.  After all, it's my money being saved.

All I demand from a voting system is that votes can be voter verified.
That's not true of ANY voting machine regardless of who writes the code
unless there is a hard copy audit trail.   If there is a hard copy audit
trail then it doesn't make any difference who wrote the code.

// marc