Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:57:55 -0600
From: Gene Rackow <rackow@....anl.gov>
To: Maciej Soltysiak <maciej@...tysiak.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, rackow@....anl.gov
Subject: Re: Dangers of discarding duplicated messages

There are lots of other things that may need to be done to handle
dealing with duplicated message-id's as well.  Note that the RFC's
mandate that the message-id is unique per message.

A number of IMAP packages use the message-id as a way of keeping
track of the message in the various folders.
Having messages with the message-id breaks the standards, may
cause problems in message handling, etc.

The problem is bigger than just the anti-spam packages out there.

>From the original message it was indicated that these many dups
might be picked up by the AV/AS software on the server.  If it is,
the blocking of the message should happen before the message-id
gets entered into the users cache of delivered messages.  Therefore
the 1st non-spam message should still be able to get through to the
end user.

-_Gene

Maciej Soltysiak made the following keystrokes: