Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:58:32 +0200
From: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
To: Marco Monicelli <marco.monicelli@...cegaglia.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: new linux malware

Marco Monicelli wrote:
> Dear Gadi,
>
> this malware looks like the famous Kaiten IRC bot. If you want, I can send
> the source code of it but it is already known by most of AVs and I think
> the source is public nowadays. This must be just another variant and
> bytheway it's detected as far as I can see from your quoted informations so
> it shouldn't be dangerous.

Indeed, it has become an annoying trend everybody talks about but nobody
writes about. Trojan horses, worms, etc. exploiting PHP bugs. Either
vulnerabilities in know applications such as WordPress, PHPBB, Drupal,
etc. or actually trying different permutations to attack the site.

Many of these are indeed based on the old kaiten code. As someone
mentioned previously in this thread or another, it can even be found on
packet storm.

Still, this one has a kick in the second payload with a worm that also
attacks other systems and I can say is not just yet another PHP worm,
but actually what I'd call linux malware.

Anyone else seeing their web server logs going crazy with new patterns
every day? Email me, I am starting a sharing system where these can be
shared mutually so we can better protect ourselves, create signatures, etc.

> Anyway, tnx for keeping us updated!

:)

	Gadi.

--
http://blogs.securiteam.com/

"Out of the box is where I live".
	-- Cara "Starbuck" Thrace, Battlestar Galactica.