Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:54:51 +1100
From: "Craig Wright" <cwright@...syd.com.au>
To: "dave" <fla.linux@...il.com>, <security-basics@...urityfocus.com>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

First I agree with some of the other posts in that this should be on
Security basics. So I have cross posted in an attempt to move this
discussion to the (in this instance) more relevant forum.

Dave demonstrates the point I was attempting to make. The trespass
argument is analogous to the computer crime in ways that seem to be
missed. In the US, UK and Australia there are a variety of computer
mis-use laws. I will not go into all the various US regs (there are over
50 jurisdictions), but to take an example from one Australian criminal
code:

<start legal quote>
"Section 170(1) of the Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935 ("the Act")
provides that a person who commits a serious criminal trespass in a
place of residence is guilty of an offence. Section 170(3) defines a
"place of residence". It is convenient to note all of the terms of s
170. It provides:

(1) A person who commits a serious criminal trespass in a place of
residence is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: Imprisonment for 15 years."
</start legal quote>

Trespass is not always just a fine and a slap on the wrist either. I
consider a 15 year goal term to be severe. What it is important to note
on all these is that the MAXIMUM term is exactly that it is the maximum
only. The judiciary has discression to issue a lesser term. Daniel
Cuthbert in the UK was let off easily and would have been punished even
less if he had told the truth from the start. Judges take a hard view to
lying under oath. They see it as an affront to their authority.

For non-repeat offenders it is oft the best defence (if one has done the
deed) to take the "it's a fair cop" approach and plead how sorry you are
etc.

I do agree that all laws are not fair. Nor have I stated this. As
trespass CAN result in an extended gaol term your point that an attacker
should get nothing more than trespass could be seen as more harsh - 15
years for the basic access is far more extreme than most computer misuse
offences have as a max. penalty.

People start stating that there is NO damage. This is never the case -
next rant...

Regards,
Craig