Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:15:38 -0400
From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>
To: "Memet Anwar" <mmta.gm@...il.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Circumventing quarantine control in Windows 2003 and ISA 2004

This is something that has been reported to Microsoft many, many times
for nearly two years (at least the NAQC) issue (including by me), and
yes, their response is the same as you have reported. The real answer is
not to use it if it doesn't meet your needs. There is no better vote
than with dollars.

Another solution is to build a better authentication/authorization
mechanism than a simple string, say something along a challenge-response
solution with a timestamp. It can be done, it's only unfortunate that it
takes much additional programming on both the client-side checks and the
authentication/authorization response.

Personally, I think it is one of the most unfriendly NAC/NAP products
out there. Hard to configure, requires RRAS (although not IAS as most
people think), requires non-legacy Windows clients, and has many
security gaps. The next version will be better, but I find it hard to
believe it will be better than all the other solutions I can plug in and
get running in under an hour across a wide spectrum of clients (e.g.
Verniers EdgeWall, StillSecure, etc.).

I've covered many network access control solutions for InfoWorld, and we
are doing some more product reviews soon. I encourage anyone interested
in network access control solutions to search on a few of these products
on www.infoworld.com, to see the good and the bad of each, before buying
one. None are perfect, but there are certainly a few solutions that are
far ahead of the game in terms of ease-of-use, platform support,
protocol support, and security.

To Microsoft's credit, NAQC is free (currently...there may be an
additional license fee in the future) with Server 2003, so it's a free
option for many administrators, who only need what it has.  If anyone is
interested in how to configure NAQC, just send me an email and I'll send
you step-by-step slides.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes@...oworld.com or roger@...neretcs.com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909