Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 01:29:04 -0400
From: scott <redhowlingwolves@...lsouth.net>
To: eEye Advisories <Advisories@...e.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, ntbugtraq@...ugtraq.com,
Subject: Re: [EEYEB-20060227] D-Link Router UPNP Stack Overflow

>Date Reported:

>DI-604 Rev E
>DI-624 Rev C
>DI-624 Rev D
>DI-784 Rev A
>EBR-2310 Rev A
>WBR-1310 Rev A
>WBR-2310 Rev A
>
>Overview:
>
>A remote stack overflow exists in a range of wired and wireless D-Link
>routers. This vulnerability allows an attacker to execute privileged
>code on an affected device. When a specific request is sent to an
>affected device, a traditional stack overflow is triggered allowing an
>attacker complete control of the router. With the ability to execute
>code on the device, it is then possible to apply modified firmware, and
>ultimately compromise the entire network.
>
>The Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) stack on many D-Link devices is
>vulnerable to a traditional remote stack overflow. This vulnerability
>exists on the Local Area Network (LAN) interface of affected D-Link
>devices. Due to the ease in which one can gain access to the LAN
>interface of wireless devices, this attack is remote in nature.
>
>Technical Details:
>
>The vulnerability exists within the M-SEARCH function. By issuing an
>M-SEARCH request with an overly long parameter (approximately 800
>bytes), a stack overflow is triggered and an attacker can reliably
>execute code of his/her choosing. This can be accomplished without
>affecting network connectivity and without any signs of exploitation.
>In some exploitation cases, the payload may require a soft-reset on the
>device, interrupting connectivity for a brief moment.
>
>The following request to UDP port 1900 will trigger the stack overflow:
>
>M-SEARCH <800 byte string> HTTP/1.0
>
>Information on exploiting vulnerabilities within embedded systems is
>scarce. To successfully debug hardware devices you will generally
>require external hardware for the debugging interface.
>
>I will be giving a presentation at SyScan '06 (http://www.syscan.org)
>that will demonstrate exactly how to analyze, debug, and exploit
>embedded devices.
>
>A previous lecture demonstrates the compromise of a network via an
>exploitable router, these slides are available for download from:
>
>http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-europe-06/bh-eu-06-Jack.pdf
>
>Vendor Status:
>
>D-Link has released updates for all affected routers and they are
>available for download from the D-Link website. (http://www.dlink.com)
>
>Credit:
>Barnaby Jack
>
>Greetings:
>
>B-boys and Fly-girls
>
>Copyright (c) 1998-2006 eEye Digital Security
>Permission is hereby granted for the redistribution of this alert
>electronically. It is not to be edited in any way without express
>consent of eEye. If you wish to reprint the whole or any part of this
> [...]
This is actually an old vulnerability in that it had been disclosed to
D-Link for some time now.There were multiple hits,such as:
Ddos's,exploitable holes in some firmware models,and seemingly,lack of
response to holes in their firmware.
They do make some fine routers,switches,...But sometimes you need to at
least admit vuln's to the public ie:If you are a large corporation and
rely on D-Link to tell you there is a problem and here is a possible
workaround,or not.
I don't won't to seem like I'm flaming D-Link,'cause I actually use
their products.I just think a response to say ,"Hey,We have a problem
with ....etc,etc
But it isn't only D-Link.
Just my HO(and probably more than 2 cts worth)