Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:25:37 -0000
From: "David Litchfield" <davidl@...software.com>
To: "Tim Newsham" <newsham@...a.net>,
	"Steve Friedl" <steve@...xwiz.net>
Cc: <stopmakingnoise@...il.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Re: "Which is more secure? Oracle vs. Microsoft" (is it a fair comparison?)

>> David Litchfield is such a respected authority in this field that many
>> of us consider "Because David said so" to be the same as fact, and his
>> mere opinion, offered to the list for free, is a gift to the security
>> community.
>
> Question everything, especially when it comes from an expert.  The facts
> can stand up for themselves.  Lets engage in science, not religeon.

It's inescapable problem with this type of paper - someone's interpretation
of the scientific data and what it means is actually just their opinion and
without the interpretation you just have a bunch of pretty pictures. That
said, if I venture an opinion I fully expect there will be people that
disagree and they should challenge that opinion. I'm never one to step back
from a good debate :)

> (No disrespect intended to Litchfield).

Thanks :)

>> Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  |   +1 714
>> 544-6561
>
> Tim Newsham
> http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

Cheers,