Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:58:35 +0100
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
To: Dan Yefimov <dan@...htwave.net.ru>
Cc: peak@...o.troja.mff.cuni.cz, psz@...hs.usyd.edu.au,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: /proc filesystem allows bypassing directory permissions on
 Linux

> >>But guest has permissions to ptrace() his own processes. If we
> >>remember your original report, he abuses input redirection of bash
> >>run by himself. So again, there's no real security hole here.
> >
> >guest abuses ptrace permissions on his own processes to write to
> >pavel's files... no, that obviously is not security hole :-).
> >
> guest abuses ptrace permissions on his own processes to write to ANY
> file open by his processes, whose permissions explicitly allow
> writing to it. Doesn't it trouble you, that guest's processes still

I repeat: Show me how to gain write access without using /proc, and
I'll agree with you.

(To recap:

While file permissions allow writing, directory permissions do not
allow any access at all.

guest has open file descriptor for reading.

Trouble is that guest can upgrade file descriptor to one that allows
writing.)

Can we continue on lkml?
								Pavel