From: johnc at grok.org.uk (John Cartwright)
Subject: Administrivia - Regarding bulk mail

Hi

The recent deluge of spam deserves some discussion, I believe.

Firstly, to clarify, this bulk mail is *not* from gobbles@...hmail.com.
The PGP signature is invalid, and the mail is spoofed. This appears to
be an attempt to cause a DoS to the mailing list administration at the
price of safeguarding the list from this traffic.

Since filtering this mail, we have been subjected to an SMTP-based flood,
with peak rates of > 200 mails/minute hitting our list. We have observed
over 60 different source addresses in use during this time and I have
submitted the offending IPs to the ORDB.

Please be patient whilst we work to resolve this issue, and accept the
fact that for an open list of this nature, some client-side filtering is
inevitable.

Cheers
- John