From: euan_briggs at btinternet.com (Euan Briggs)
Subject: [PHC] Sermon #3 (w/ reply to Paul Schmehl &    others)

*yawn*
Is noone capable of posting without making it personal? Ignoring all
the venomous junk:

You state that blackhats advocate non-disclosure, yet you omit the
reasons _why_ they advocate it. These are the reasons I supplied in
my earlier posts.
Let me try and explain this frankly for you:

Situation A - If there is a hole in a system which is deployed on a
huge scale etc, and it is kept secret, the entire user base is at
risk from criminal hackers, and these hackers are the only people
aware of it. I have shown you already that blackhats disclose vulns
among themselves and these things inevitably come into the hands of
the blackhat masses. In case you hadnt noticed, script kiddies
themselves are getting into vuln-dev these days and no doubt will
find holes themselves and distribute them.. If someone gets hacked,
the responsibility is not of the admin, who cannot possibly know the
system he was sold as secure had a vuln. So the responsibility is
moved onto the vendor. Now this may not be a bad thing, computing
technology seems to be the only  product which we _expect_ it to be
broken and there is no such thing as liability of the vendor if they
release something which is broken. However, is it a good idea to take
responsibliity away from the administrator? Will this not make him
lazy, *shrug* and say 'its not my problem, its out of my hands,
nothing I can do". We all know the problems negligent admins cause
for the internet as whole. Also, if you rely on vendors to discover
and fix holes, then you can count on it that they WONT want to
announce it in a timely fashion. How many corporations do you know
that are willing to say "hey, we sold you a flawed and  insecure
product that puts your entire business at risk, and lied when we told
you it was safe to use, sorry about that!".

Summary - Everyone is vulnerable, only blackhats have the tools,
people feel more uncertain about the supposed security of their
systems. Vendors can keep vulns secret to protect their business
image.
Bottom line - People get hacked and there is nothing they can do
about it.

Situation B - Dealing with that same hole, the entire installed user
base is still at risk until it is discovered and disclosed. Now if it
is disclosed, not only do the criminal blackhats have the
information, but the admins etc become aware of it too. This gives
them the opportunity to patch it up. Any good admin should be keeping
tracking of security issues with the systems he uses, and if someone
fails to patch their machine and gets hacked, that is their problem.
Anyone doing responsible full disclosure will always coordinate with
vendors and allow them to create the fixes needed before releasing
the vulnerability information. My only problem with full-disclosure,
is that I feel it should be in the form of an advisory which
describes the vuln adequately to allow people to be informed about
how it affects them and how best to protect against it. Full
disclosure in the form of ./hack tools is completely un-necessary and
irresponsible, and if you cared to notice, most people doing
full-disclosure in the form of ready to run tools happen to be
blackhats. Look at GOBBLES activity this year for example. How many
reputable security companies have you seen, doing full disclosure in
the form of ./tools ?

Summary - Everyone is made aware they have a vuln in their system,
they are given the means to fix it as they are informed of it. Sure
the information allows people to write their own attack for the vuln,
but the fix is available at the same time, and is no doubt easier to
install the patch than it is for a kiddie to write the exploit from
an abstract advisory, so that risk is effectively mitigated.
Bottom line - People still get hacked, but there is a fix available
so they have the means to protect themselves. Responsibility for
security breach after disclosure remains in the hands of the network
administrator which is where it should be. Full-disclosure also
reveals the tricks and techniques of the exploit coder, which in turn
assists the people making vulnerable systems to clean up their act.

I stand by everything I said in the posts where I spoke about the
blackhats selfish criminal motivations, and if you dont like that,
tough luck. I stand by full-disclosure as long as it isn't in the
form of ready to use "Proof of concept" code.

Responsible full-disclosure is working, before the security industry
matured EVERYONE was insecure. Now MANY are secure. That has to be
considered a positive improvement no?

Euan

PS, ever heard the story of the bug in the rug who spends his whole
life wandering around in circles, and never gets to see the whole
pattern of the rug he lives in?
Also, various quotes such as "if crypto is outlawed, only criminals
will have crypto" seem appropriate.