From: ka at khidr.net (Ka)
Subject: Fwd: fuck symantec & boycott bugtraq

At Freitag, 10. Januar 2003 04:13 David M. Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 01:18:49AM +0100, Ka wrote:
[That citation was part of a private message, but it's ok
for me to talk about it in public]
> > What the fuck is going on in American minds after the Daffy Moron
> > Cockeyed Act? As soon as someone mentions "copyright" or "license" you
> > seem to p... - read: stop thinking immediatedly.
>
> This is a totally seperate issue from the DMCA - it is a matter of basic
> human rights to ownership over the product of their craftsmanship.

But the whole world is the craftsman, not the single personality who just
happened to suffer from soo much egoistic inferiority feeling that he/she
was the first to run to the patent office. Or the first one to post the
exploit for that matter. Einstein said, if he wouldn't have written the
Special Relativity Theory, somebody else would've done it 3-6 months later.

With your very argument you proove, that the ideas of personal intellectual
property are allready so deeply burned into our brains, that we cannot
argue without them. And the DMCA is the blain blossoming out of that
commercial egoistic fixation.

> ... in the U.K. I have always been
> taught that copyright is implicit; once I create something, it is my
> property. Whether I mark it "(c) m4d h4x0r, DO N0T D1STr0!", or not.

This is it: you have been told... and now you defend it as your opinion.
But even that opinion is not your intellectual property, it is
(c) 300-2000 by Christian/Western Conditioning. It is one way to see
the things, only one of many possible standpoints.

> A large unweildy database of exploit code owned and controlled by scores
> of anonymous hackers spread across the globe presents a massive legal
> nightmare.

And the very same data controlled by commercial and political (read: 'lawful')
interests spread around the globe presents a massive nightmare regarding my
personal freedom. As an individual it is my personal experience that the
modern societies are anti-individual. I don't feel supported in my
individuality by society or laws and I feel less and less so nowadays.
I also see a strong (basically desirable) tendency to align US and EU laws
- - especially regarding patents and intellectual property - hence I'm
involved with US laws too. Society and laws interrelate to our ways of thinking
and living, they should be made according to us and not vice versa.

> You could spend millions contacting each and every individual to get
> his/her consent for use of their code, or you can simply just pull the
> plug.

First pull the plug from your own mind, Agent Wilson.

> > This is indeed 100% success for Microsoft - they managed to
> > implant their ideas about copyright and licensing into nearly
> > everybody coming near a computer.
>
> Yeah man, Microsoft invented capitalism. Whether most people agree with
> me or not (and especially not on this list), intellectual property
> protects us just as much as it damages us. (</troll>)

Why do you mention the topic of agreement when you express your opinion?
If not because we are used/educated/drugged into seeking agreement?

Microsoft was just an example, you are totally right that Microsoft did
not invent capitalism. But capitalism is not the problem, nor is it the
question of who invented what. The conditioning is what I was speaking
about. The fixed trails of thought, the prerecorded arguments, the
cemented ways of thinking.

> Even some basic historical reading will show you that Microsoft were not
> the inventors of the closed-source binary, it happened long before that.
> When? I don't know, nor do I care. Time for bed. Try The Cathedral And
> The Bazaar, ESR rants about a closed-source driver for a Xerox prototype
> printer in the 70s IIRC.

Historic facts are nice, aint't they? One can look them up in books and
tell stories to the grandchilds. Closed source was the rule in the 60ies
- - anybody older and still living?
But what we do NOW - or don't do - will be historic in a few years.

We decide NOW wether this millenium becomes Daffy or Digital.
And WE decide it, WE determine the acts, not vice versa.
If the acts are not in accordance with our reality any longer,
they have to be changed or dropped. If that's not done and
it comes to a fight between reality and law, I bet all my Euros
on reality.

Intellectual Property is nonsense in the 21st millenium and calling
an act a "Millenium Act" is reminding me of the Third Reich, which
was called the "Millenial Reich" here in Germany. As a German
I might be overly sensitive, but I tell you: the American Way
of thinking, the new US laws and politics are fascist on their roots.

Sorry for breaking the list charter with this post, but the security
related arguments in this group just reflect the global eco-political
situation.

Ka
- --
Want hear Ancient Music In The Pines?