From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

> "In the U.S., today, free speech is just a myth," de Raadt said.

This is an important issue because so many people get it completely wrong, de
Raadt included.

Free speech means the government cannot put you in jail for the things you say
or believe.

It does not mean the government is required to continue to pay you to do work
or fund your projects regardless of the things that you say or believe.

It does not mean the government cannot create hardship for you, or that it
must protect you from hardship imposed on you by others.

Further, the U.S. constitution does not apply to foreign nationals and it has
no direct impact on business dealings except indirectly as it relates to the
legislative process whereby State and Federal laws are enacted and enforced
that seek to regulate business dealings consistent with constitutional law.

We must bear in mind that free speech exists within a context of freedom; we
cannot impose behavioral restrictions or affirmative obligations on government
agencies or private parties that remove the freedom of those parties to
exercise sound subjective judgment. The day that we impose government controls
for allowable consequences against you for your choice to exercise your
freedom of speech is the day we kill freedom in our effort to protect speech.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org