From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: How to easily bypass a firewall...

Would it matter?  The scenario that was proposed is that there's a
trojan on the box, and it can attempt certain methods of
programmatically disabling the firewall.  If there's a trojan on the
box, what does it matter?  *Anything* on the box can be disabled at that
point.

If I break in to a Linux box, for example, all I have to do, once I have
root, is type:
% /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains stop

If it's a Windows box, I just kill the service:
C:\ sc stop {firewall servicename}

Or install the pstools to do it.

The point is, once the box is owned, nothing else matters.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member