From: richard at tccnet.co.uk (Richard Stevens)
Subject: ISS Security Brief: "MS Blast" MSRPC DCOM Worm Propagation (fwd)

I appreciate that many users dont know what a firewall is.. but this stuff is given so much coverage and sales pitch.. it makes you wonder....

with regards to which ports to block etc... the ICF firewall by default just blocks all incoming traffic that has not specifically been requested, and allows all outgoing. It doesnt take a genius to click "firewall this connection"  no user thought processes required!

maybe ms should enable it be default on any interface with a public IP address?