From: rms at computerbytesman.com (Richard M. Smith)
Subject: The Grid, Blaster v. Poor Security Engineering

Hi,

Given that the power companies are still looking into the chain of
events that caused the 2003 Blackout, I think it is premature to count
in or out any cause.  We might be looking at an equipment failure, human
error, an insider attack, weather problems, cyberattack, sabotage, etc.
Speculation is a lot of fun many times, but it should be based on the
facts.

Here are few articles that covered a news conference held today on the
investigation so far on the causes behind the blackout:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/297115.asp?0si=-&cp1=1

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3064401

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/15/power.outage/index.html

Richard M. Smith