From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: "MS Blast" Win2000 Patch Download

--On Friday, August 15, 2003 08:35:30 AM -0400 James Patterson Wicks
<pwicks@...gen.com> wrote:

> I guess we just have a diferent approach to laptops and the corporate
> environment than others.  The only way a laptop can be plugged into our
> network is if it has been cleard by the IS department.

No, he doesn't have a different approach.  He has a different set of
problems than you do.

Try solving this puzzle.  You have 50,000 students living in dormitories,
each with a 100MB connection to the Internet.  Their computers belong to
them and the state will not allow you to do any work on them.  In addition,
for liability reasons, you cannot work on their computers.

Now solve the problem of them constantly getting hacked and infected,
without being able to force software on their computers, without being able
to patch them, without being able to demand that they use a firewall.  (You
can send them all the warning messages you want.  Good luck on having them
actually *read* them, much less follow the advice.)

Sure, you can firewall off the dorms from your network, but that doesn't
solve the problem of the 50,000 student infecting each other and then
calling your support people crying for help.  And it doesn't solve the
problem of those same students bringing their infected laptops *on* your
network when they walk up from the dorms.

You see, you have a myopic view (as do a *lot* of people) of what the real
world is like.  You think because you live in your nice little insulated
world where everything is under control (you hope), that everyone else
ought to be able to do the same thing and if they don't, they're just lazy
or incompetent.  Others have to deal with *much* greater problems than
yours.  I'd *love* to be in your situation.  I could sit on my ass in my
office enjoying life, smug in the knowledge that no one could violate my
policies without serious repercussions.  (Actually, that's not true.  I
love what I do now, and I'd much rather deal with the challenges that I
face than be the BOFH in your situation.)

I often wonder, when reading these types of posts, if the people that write
them could even survive in a tough, real-world environment trying to "do
security".  I suspect not.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas