From: jeremiah at nur.net (Jeremiah Cornelius)
Subject: CERT Employee Gets Owned [Way Off Topic]

KF wrote:

> Joshua Thomas wrote:
>
>> I'll remember that when your name is plastered all over the media.
>>
>> Explain to me how this crime is relevant?
>>
>> He worked for CERT. Fine. So do a number of other people. Are we
>> going to track all of their civil/criminal legal issues too? Do you
>> believe that his crime puts the reputation of CERT into question, or
>> damages their ability to do good work?
>>
> I certainly feel this has no relevance on the quality of work what so
> ever... actually Ian went above and beyond several times in helping us
> out when HP was breathing down our neck. What Ian does / did in his
> spare time should be of no concern to the security industry.
>
> -KF
>
>> The crime was not computer-security related. It was an attempt to
>> exploit another _person_, and the only relationship to computers was
>> the medium of the communication. In short, it's out-of-scope for this
>> list.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Joshua Thomas
>> Network Operations Engineer
>> PowerOne Media, Inc.
>> jthomas@...eronemedia.com
>>
>> >If you dont like it, un-subscribe or quit your bitching.  Instead of
>> >replying with your lame comments making yourself look like a real ass.
>>
>> -badpack3t

>> > But seriously, who cares. This is full-disclosure. Not
>> >
>> "people-in-the-security-industry-who-are-accused-of-crimes-that-people-dont-
>>
>> > like".
>> >
>> > Kurt Seifried, kurt@...fried.org
>> > A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
>> > AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
>> > http://seifried.org/security/

Everything else aside, it might serve well to remind us that the
communications on this list and elsewhere are a small view on to the
person posting.  Everyone - better or ill - is far more complex and
involved that the views exchanged on the topics at hand.  Even the
crap-flamers are possibly fine folk, you'd like immensely under other
circumstance.

This was the most basic notion behind the formation of a code of
"netiquette", and in fact good conduct in general.  FD is often one of
the nadirs of expression with regard to this - if you don't count
Kuro5hin and /.

We can agree to disagree about techincal issues and security
methodology.  We are provided very little context for extending any
judgement to the personal, and it would be better for everyone if this
thread were killed - and we go back 'on topic' so to speak.

Translation:  I don't dislike YOU - just Windows.

--
Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA, MCSE, Debianaut
farm9 Security

"What would be the use of immortality to a person who cannot use well a half
hour?"
--Ralph Waldo Emerson