From: mike at sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
Subject: Authorities eye MSBlaster suspect

At 10:23 AM 29/08/2003 -0500, Charles Ballowe wrote:
>Interesting -- the net cost of the worm is actually a net $0.00. For every
>penny that a company chalks up as a cost to the worm, some other company
>must be chalking up the cost as a profit from the worm.

I seriously doubt that. The amount of time / money this is taking to clean
up does not translate into extra dollars.  Most of our customers just call
us for help and we dont get to charge them extra for telling them what web
pages to go to do download patches / fixes.... Nor is someone going to get
money for the fact that our help desk is just flooded with
questions.  Similarly the companies taken out by this worm (e.g. Air
Canada) just pile more work on their internal help desks having to clean up
the mess.  Some 'pay as you go' consultants will be busier than normal, but
internal IT departments will just be doing more work.

         ---Mike