From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: Bill Gates blames the victim

You should try patching more often or more systems.  We had a Solaris
system just the other day that took eight hours to patch.  We had to
back some out and redo them.  Others we could only back out because they
failed utterly.  We've had Windows systems that completely croaked on
some patches.  Others are simply unpatchable, because if you patch them,
the application they run (which is their raison d'etre) is unusable once
the system is patched.

Patching is not nearly as trivial or as easy as some would like to make
it out to be.  But those with little or no real experience are always
eager to throw their two cents in anyway.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member