From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Fwd: How to Steal a Mainframe

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:44:54 +1000, gregh <chows@...mail.com.au>  said:

> passed through these servers. What gets me is only 2 servers were stolen and yet
> they were in there 2 hours "unhooking the computers" so it was said. Doesnt
> take that long just to "unhook".

Umm... We're not talking about a 5U-high Netfinity, probably.  We once had
occasion to move an IBM 9672 (which is as near as I can tell the same size/
class machine) across the machine room, and it was a long morning's work.  Even
a *small* S/390 or z-series system can have 48 channel cables on it, 128 is not
at all uncommon - and IBM uses some pretty hefty screws to hold them in place.

It's a *little* better if all the disk is on onboard drawers - but a man-hour
to prepare a box that size for shipping is doing *really* well - and presumably
this was a well planned job and they REALLY wanted the machine to make it to
their hideout intact.. ;)