From: rms at computerbytesman.com (Richard M. Smith)
Subject: VeriSign's fake SMTP server for SiteFinder

Hello,

Does anyone know why Verisign has set up a fake SMTP server at their
SiteFinder service to bounce email messages sent to misspelled or
expired domain names?  The fake SiteFinder SMTP server gives the
impression that it is a real SMTP server and happily accepts "To" and
"From" email addresses before rejecting a misdirected email message.

I don't quite understand what technical issues Verisign is trying to
solve here with a fake server.  Any guesses?

I've attached an early email from Verisign that gives a bit more
information about how this fake SMTP server operates but not why it is
needed.

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com