From: bruen at coldrain.net (Stormwalker)
Subject: Verisign "responds"

Hi Jonathan,

   While I do not disagree with your conclusion, your sense of
   history is a bit off base. Lots of people expected the net
   to be even bigger than it is today (like an several addresses per
   person on the planet, coke machines and even light switches).

   The government agency was intended for the start up. Sometimes
   they are they only means to get something off the ground.

   Many of us expected that once commercial interests got involved the
   net we knew would be trashed. This action by Verisign is simply a
   prophecy come true, as is the DMCA, etc. It's unfortunate that the
   majority of net users are recent arrivals and do not really know what
   happened. It will get worse before it gets better.

   Suggestion: Read "Ruling the Waves" by Deborah  Spar to get a real
   sense of the history of technology, business and government.

                  cheers, bob
                  (from the era of punch
                  cards and paper tape)