From: jonathan at nuclearelephant.com (Jonathan A. Zdziarski)
Subject: Verisign "responds"

Punchcards eh?  I guess you do have a decode or two on me.  I started
out when TRS-80's had tape decks, around 1982 or so.  They had coke
machines back then? =)

I was aware, with everyone else, that everyone knew the government
contract would expire and there was a mild grumble about Network
Solutions taking things over, but I had never expected things would get
to this point.  I had hoped that things would end up going a different
direction.  The open root server community is the type of group I would
have expected would run the show in the longrun, and it's disheartening
I'm sure for both of us to see such a commercialization of critical
services.  Hopefully ICANN will have the guts to stand up to Verisign
and enforce their contract.  If there was a monopoly on pork and beans,
I wouldn't mind so much, but it seems to be the porterhouse steak that's
been shanghaied here.

>    Suggestion: Read "Ruling the Waves" by Deborah  Spar

Looks like a good book, I'll be sure to pick up a copy

Jonathan