From: purdy at tecman.com (Curt Purdy)
Subject: [inbox] Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

NT4 SP2 was a nightmare.  Luckily I heard about it in the newsgroups the day
I planned on installing it on my ISP boxes (yes I run IIS, locked down, in
addition to Apache).  That taught me a lesson, and I now wait 48-72 hours
after release before installing any Microsoft service pack or hotfix, while
I observe Uncle Bill's guinea-pigs.

One of the things I love about *NIX is the stability.  FreeBSD 5.1 (I run on
my desktop) is more stable than any Microsoft .1 product ever hoped to be,
but the FreeBSD crew is still classifying 4.8 the production version (I run
on my servers).

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- former White House cybersecurity zar Richard Clarke