From: joel at helgeson.com (Joel R. Helgeson)
Subject: OT: An odd question that has arrisen within my household

Common Hacker Stratifications:

Tier I
- The best of the best
- Ability to find new vulnerabilities
- Ability to write exploit code and tools

Tier II
- IT savvy
- Ability to program or script
- Understand wht the vulnerability is and how it works
- Intelligent enough to use the exploit code and tools with precision

Tier III
- "Script Kiddies"
- Inexpert
- Ability to download exploit code and tools
- Very little understanding of the actual vulnerability (launching Linux
attacks against MS boxes)
- Randomly fire off scripts until something works

Joel R. Helgeson
Director of Networking & Security Services
SymetriQ Corporation

"Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life."