From: stefmit at comcast.net (stefmit)
Subject: OT: An odd question that has arrisen within my household

On Sunday 12 October 2003 09:40 pm, Matt Carlson wrote:
> These question is off topic, I realize this, but please bear with me.
>
> 1. What exactly defines a "script kiddie"?
>
> 2. Does using a port scanner make you a "script kiddie" since you
> yourself did not write the code?
>
> 3. Does it make you a script kiddie because it is a means of exploitation?
>
> Matt Carlson

Script kiddie (don't recall where I saw something along these lines): hacker
or cracker (see below) who uses PRE-MADE tools for hacking or cracking
information systems or networks, and who generally has very little or no
knowledge of the FUNCTION(S) of the tools that are being used.

In your case: once you understand not only that a port mapping tool is to be
used to identify open ports, but you also understand the concept of ports as
components of sockets (stream - TCP, or datagram - UDP), thus being able to
further the investigation based on the workings of sockets, etc., then you do
not qualify as script kiddie ...

Exploiting a system does not make you a script kiddie, but a cracker. A hacker
would leave the process at the identification and research level of the
flaw/bug, while the cracker would move on to exploiting.

My $0.02,
Stef