From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: [inbox] Re: RE: Linux (in)security

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, William Warren wrote:

> This is am IBM problem not a Redhat and/or Linux problem.

No, red-hat problem really.  IBM does the backend contract for support, be
the dist Suse or red-hat.  Red-hat holds the responsibility for
maintaining the RPM's.  Now, if the RPM's are not kept up to date, and
red-hat does not properly keep IBM clued as to how 'fresh' their RPM's
are, it falls into red-hats hands.  If Suse were to do the same <maybe
they do, maybe they are better prepared for their push into the IBM
mainframe world?> then they would be suffering the same problems to their
prospective customers as well.  Look at any of the past red-hat advisories
and  their corresponnding platforms and  fixup RPM's to address the
issues; note that the s390 platform is *not* represented.  This puts the
onus of determining how fit and up-to-date the red-hat RPM's are for this
platform soely upon the customer.  As I said, red-hat was unprepared  for
this push having devoted little if any resources to it's maintainance
schema.  Their  focus having been the  i386/ai64/ppc platforms.

Is this changing?  We'll see as they rollout red-hat's version 9.0 for the
s390 platform and how they commit to their backend support schema.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne