From: jonathan at nuclearelephant.com (Jonathan A. Zdziarski)
Subject: Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and
	transition planning

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:11, Tim Groninga wrote:
> Got the same f-you-gram today - already figuring out what distro to
> fall back to but 99% of my experience has been on Redhat. No time to
> try them all....so FreeBSD/SuSE/Mandrake - what are your opinions of
> each? Flexiblity, ease of use, ease of migration, security etc.

I would love to see the open source community pull together and create a
better "user-friendly" Linux distribution to replace RedHat.  So far all
of the alternatives I've looked at, while not bad, are quite frankly not
impressive enough to capture any desktop user market space away from
Microsoft...which is what I feel is the most important contribution
RedHat made to Linux prior to turning into a bunch of selfish
blood-sucking misers.

To answer your question:

Debian: 8 CDs of useless or outdated software, 2.2 kernel install,
poorly designed install tool

Slackware: What version are we at?

Mandrake: Welcome n00b.

Lindows: su? we don't need no stinking su.

FreeLSD: Uh, how did this make it into the mix?

SuSe: the most promising, which is why they'll probably be next to screw
the Linux community.  Not sure if I can handle them discontinuing it for
a SECOND time.

<rant>
I'm a strong supporter of open-source, free software...but wtf good is
the GPL if the cycle always ends in the open-source, free software
community being screwed?
</rant>