From: helmut_hauser at hotmail.com (helmut hauser)
Subject: Openware.org IE Fix - Withdrawn

And this is NO stupid thread ...

Open source' IE patch withdrawn for further patching

Quote:

The third-party 'open source' patch for Internet Explorer that we told you
about earlier today, contains more than a few potentially nasty surprises.
As we noted, German tech site Heise had already warned of dangerous buffer
overflows. Openwares.org, a month-old site which boasts "Software is free"
today published source code and a binary executable purporting to fix a
loophole in Internet Explorer for Windows. It's unusual, but not
unprecedented, for third parties to issue their own fixes for Microsoft's
exploit-riddled browser. But Heise advises that this patch could be more
trouble than it's worth, and the fix has already been taken in for some
maintenance.

"This patch addresses a vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer that
could allow Hackers and con-artists to to display a fake URL in the address
and status bars. The vulnerability is caused due to an input validation
error, which can be exploited by including the "%01" and "%00" URL encoded
representations after the username and right before the "@" character in an
URL," according to a release note accompanying the patch. Unfortunately, the
authors of the patch also enabled a Windows Registry key used by spyware.
IEmsg.dll. "When we're absulotly [sic] sure that the code is bulletproof
we'll re-release it," says Openwares's forum administrator.

News Source: