From: help at sopris.net (Ethan)
Subject: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:31:18 +0100, Joris De Donder
<fulld-j@...italdefense.be> wrote:

> ISPs could give the same information to their customers or even put
> certain 'security requirements' in their contracts. They could send
> their users a 'security newsletter' and/or setup a special
> website/page with usefull information (usefull information != some
> links to your sponsors and and some FUD text written by people from
> the marketing dep.)

This particular approach to education of the average ISP patron is a good
idea in theory, but if such contractual stipulations or useful information
were presented to the average user it would elicit no more than a nod. The
braver users may attempt to understand what they are being told "for their
own good", but the a majority of them are likely to give up their benefits
after reaching the 3rd technical term that they don't understand.

I agree that the only way to truly secure the desktop PC, once and for
all, is to force into the users' hands a read-only device. If all
administration were controlled by a competent professional then we'd all
be relatively safe from data and revenue loss, as well as having our
sensitive datas compromised. I believe that nothing will ever stop
security threats and breaches completely, but that is good because it
shows something hopeful for the ingenuity, tenacity, and adaptability of
mankind.

Your friend,
Ethan E Sundstrom